About Me

My photo
Just my thoughts on what ever pops up. The kids are more or less on their own pursuing various degrees. My hubby does take a bit more of my time But that's as it should be. We have 3 dogs and they are my daily company. In my spare time I love to cook. I'm retired from the U. S. Air Force and am enjoying playing homemaker. (I take my hat off to the real homemakers) You'll probably get a mixed bag from my blog so be prepared for whatever may pop up in the conversation. Family is my touchstone.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Review - The Secret by Julie Garwood

This is one of my all time favorites.  It’s a historical romance set in the 12th century.  I do believe this is one of the first romances I read that actually contained humor and not the stereotypical heroine.  Most of all, this book is about the true friendship of two women who shouldn’t have been friends at all.  During the 12th century, England and Scotland did not get along, but for two young girls at a gathering, the animosity was incidental.  Lady Judith and Frances Catherine become fast friends and get into all kinds of difficulties over the years.  At one of their gatherings, Lady Judith makes a solemn promise to Frances Catherine.  Judith will be there when Frances Catherine (always the two names together) has her first child.  Too many women died in child birth from some pretty archaic beliefs and Frances Cathrine does not want to be one of them.  In addition to the story of friendship this book shows how different people with different belief systems can truly get along.

Of course there’s a love interest for Lady Judith but the road isn’t easy.  Laird Ian Maitland cannot believe this little English woman is turning his beliefs and his clan upside down.  Not only is Lady Judith an English woman in Scotland but she’s keeping a big secret from everyone involved except Frances Catherine.  It’s a secret that could tear the Highlands open, pull Clans apart or mean heartbreak for Lady Judith and the love she’s finally found.

When I think of true friendship, this is the book that always comes to mind. 

I hope if you haven’t read it, you’ll give it chance and if you have, read it again just for fun.  If I had a daughter this would be a book on her must read list from her Mom.

5 Stars (are you really surprised?)

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Julie-Garwood/dp/0671744216/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327554262&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment